Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Thoughts on Heaven & Hell

A couple weeks ago as I was thinking about the meaning of all things, I had some ideas about Heaven and Hell. The idea was that Heaven & Hell aren't destinations, but mental states brought about by the direction in which you head. Heaven is brought about by doing things that are positive and will evolve you, and Hell is brought about by doing things that are negative and will devolve you. As to not dilute this idea, I won't attempt to elaborate on which actions I think will or won't propel you in one direction or the other.

With this idea, it would make sense that both Heaven and Hell can get more profound and intense. That is to say, the more progress you make, the more heavenly Heaven becomes and and more you digress, the more hellish Hell becomes. Though this is all a mouthful, I think that it feels true.

This also means that These these states are relative. For example, A "crack fiend" can experience Heaven by progressing relative to his situation. On the same line of logic, a charitable person can experience Hell by digressing relative to her situation.

So since they are relative, it is difficult to define Heaven and Hell in absolute terms. In order to do this, there must be a standard from which to judge. for Theists, this "bar" is set by God. For Atheists, this bar is set personally.

I could continue, but I won't post this if I don't do it at this sitting. So, though these thoughts are fragmented, I hope that they cause you to think about how you feel about them.
The End (or is it?)

1 comment:

Babe in Boysland said...

Very thought provoking. Honestly.